Yes, if you choose wisely, facial mists can improve your skin’s hydration and soften skin for up to six hours according to a Skin Research & Technology study. The Study also showed that the half-a-micrometer mists penetrated cells the best.
Some people call face mists the best “two-second hack” you can add to your routine -- easy to use, big benefit.
Beyond that, clients tell us there are three top reasons to use them.
- Keep one in the fridge and mist when you’re over-heated or feel flushed.
- Keep one at your desk, and mist (even over makeup) when you’re hella stressed. It’s a beautiful feeling and encourages you to b r e a t h e.
- One of our clients decants her GM Collin Hydramucine Treating Mist into a tiny sprayer (re-purposed vessel) and never flies on a plane without it, having noticed the considerable difference in her pallor without it.
Facial mists are a versatile beauty essential that fight dryness, brighten a dull complexion, and help revitalize tired skin. Plus, they work with every skin type.
“A facial mist can be refreshing and hydrating to the skin. It’s especially useful for those who have sensitive or extremely dry skin, travel frequently or live in dry climates,” says Dr. Kally Papantoniou, a New York-based cosmetic dermatologist.
“Face mists that don’t just have water, but also ingredients that promote hydration and water retention work best,” says Dr. Papantoniou.
Here’s a brief guide to help you choose the right facial mist:For Dry Skin: Look for mists that contain ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and squalane. These ingredients boost hydration and plump skin cells. “They also help to hold in moisture and heal the damaged skin barrier,”
For Normal or Combination Skin: “Normal and combination skin can get away with using more varied ingredients, a balanced mist that contains hyaluronic acid, rose water, and essential oils, if desired, would work well,” notes Dr. Papantoniou.
For Oily or Acne-Prone Skin: “Face mists that are oil and silicone free should be used to prevent clogged pores and oil build-up,” says Dr. Papantoniou. Rose water and aloe-based mists can be very effective in reducing inflammation and soothing acne-prone skin. “Face mists rich in antioxidants such as green tea are also helpful in reducing inflammation associated with acne,” she adds.
For Sensitive Skin: Pick a face mist with a basic, hydrating formula that’s gentle on your skin.
For Fighting Signs of Aging: Facial sprays that contain ingredients like tea extract, Vitamins C and E, pomegranate extract, alpha, and beta hydroxy acids and grapeseed extract are great options.
We have personally tested, recommend, and carry:
Odacité Hydra-Purifying Mist $42
- Purpose: Hydrate & purify oily, acne-prone skin
- This clearing facial mist is a very effective and innovative way to infuse your skin with purifying actives while offering sufficient oil-free hydration.
- Each tiny drop of this divinely scented mist is formulated to care for oily, breakout-prone skin and promote a fresh, clear appearance.
- Rich in a compound similar to salicylic acid, Willow Bark helps to visibly clarify the look of pimple-prone skin as it deeply purifies and minimizes the appearance of pores. Aloe Vera infuses the skin with optimum hydration while Green Tea extract delivers powerful antioxidants.
- Peppermint is a powerful ally that helps to remove excess oil and reduce dullness.
- This mist instantly brings back comfort and glow to the skin.
- 100% NATURAL • GMO-FREE • VEGAN • GLUTEN FREE
GM Collin Mists to address various concerns including sensitive, moisture, and purifying. $38
SENSIDERM TREATING MIST
For sensitive skin of all types.
- A fragrance and alcohol-free moisturizing mist that provides a superior soothing effect.
- Treats sensitive skin, thanks to its magical formula composed of honey and aloe vera extracts.
For dehydrated skin of all types.
- A toning mist that restores cutaneous hydration and allows the skin to protect itself against dehydrating conditions better.
- Contains botanical and natural extracts.
- Leaves the skin feeling refreshed with an immediate sensation of comfort.
For normal to oily skin.
- A purifying, hydrating, and mattifying mist that minimizes the appearance of pores.
- Soothes and purifies the skin.
“When you start hitting the 50 age range, your priorities definitely change. You start noticing a little laxity along the jawline, deeper lines, texture changes, pigment popping here and there. As the owner of a busy aesthetics practice, a wife and a mother, I learned quickly to prioritize skincare and services that focus on collagen production. So, if I have to pick only one, it’s microneedling.”
“Wait, you’re asking a skincare addict to pick my favorite?! … ok, it’s an Algo mask. The feeling of it is immensely relaxing and the quiet, while it does its magic, is a respite. And your face looks cushion-ey and bouncy when it’s done!”
“Dermaplaning. The gentle scraping away of the old surface skin cells somehow feels so strangely satisfying. I love the way my skin radiates and glows afterward.”
“I had seriously the most amazing facial by Leah herself. I was able to completely detach myself from the reality of daily grind, and just be. She has the ability to allow one to disconnect from the outside and feel so relaxed, cared for, and pampered, all while reaping the benefit of having my skin feel better than it has ever felt. All this plus a very reasonable and uncomplicated plan for upkeep! The peels are wonderful too as I deal with skin problems that many others also face... the dreaded melasma and more dreaded aging process. But facials are my favorite.”
A San Diego native and Colorado enthusiast since 2003, her warm and experienced touch are immediately noticeable. Her specialty is functional age management of the skin.
Carey has over eight years of Medical Aesthetics experience. With extensive training in multiple lasers and skin rejuvenation procedures, she has cultivated a deep knowledge of functional age management of the skin. Carey is committed to providing every client with a safe and peaceful place to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. Her goal is to deliver personalized, results-oriented treatments, while also providing each client with the knowledge they need to maintain optimal skin health at home.
A native of San Diego, California, Carey moved to Colorado in 2003. She loves spending time with her two teenage sons, nurturing their never-ending enthusiasm for music and the arts. She also enjoys yoga, walks with her dog, motorcycle riding, going to the movies, and visiting her large extended family back home.
Making meaningful connections with her clients is one of Carey’s favorite aspects of this work.
While professional makeup artist and local coach Cindy K Cruz showed us how to polish off our look in seven minutes (really), she also pointed out that it’s the glowing skin underneath that saved our model (Isabelle) from feeling like she needed to go heavy-handed with her makeup. We certainly agree! (see the video here)
Foundational, fresh skin (with a skosh of medical science) that glows without any makeup at all:
- Facial with either microdermabrasion or dermaplane
- If you’ve never tried it, wait until you see the dramatic difference.
- A light touch on filler and/or Botox
- Eyelash and eyebrow tint + RevitaLash, RevitaBrow
- A simple, effective skincare regime that you will stick to no matter how tired you are (cleanser, eye cream, serum, sunscreen are the basics)
Cindy’s 7-Minute Holiday Polish (Makeup) Look
She was emphatic about two things when we collaborated on this.
- The right face serum to work with your skin, and help makeup stay in place. (Cindy used G.M. Collin Hydramucine Optimal Serum on Isabelle)
- Eye Patches. Bright and tight in 20 minutes (we like to keep a stash of G.M. Collin Instant Radiance Anti-Aging Eye Patches for times like these)
- Apply a good, effective concealer well-matched to your skin tone under the eyes, under and beside the nose, and on the inner and outer corner of the eyes plus on any blemishes. Work in with a good brush or pat with your fingertips. She is a Mac makeup fan for concealer (not a paid influencer or affiliated in any way, she just loves it).
- Smooth in a dime size of G.M. Collin Mineral BB Cream so as not to hide your beautiful skin but instead simply even out your skin tone.
- Smoosh in a neutral eyeshadow shade and line your upper eyelid in a tonally matched shade staying very close to your lash line. For a little oomph, use a brighter color eyeshadow on the outer corners, and on top of, the liner to the edge of your pupil.
- Add a pop of natural blush to your cheeks.
- Use your favorite no-mirror-required lipstick and top with a plumping gloss like G.M. Collin Lip Plumping Complex.
- Extra credit: If you want some light bounce on the tops of your cheekbones, but don’t want to look like you have strobes on your face, pat 2 drops of Odacite oil in your palms, warm and thin by rubbing your palms together, and pat lightly onto the tops of your cheeks.
- Done and done!
Now, do as the French do and walk out the door, not thinking about your hair, makeup, or clothes again -- confidence is electric, wear it all like you mean it and don’t fuss. Have fun.