Kybella is the first non-surgical way to reduce submental fat, or the dreaded double chin, without surgery, providing results similar to liposuction.
In the last five years, the number of body contouring procedures has grown two and a half times. This growth is reflective of consumer concerns. New procedures offer even more minimally invasive treatment options, such as Kybella, popular for fat below the chin, and micro-focused ultrasound used for skin tightening. (https://www.asds.net/_Media.aspx?id=10114&terms=kybella)
“The drug designed to treat my “submental fat” (the fat pocket under the chin) is the new cosmetic injectable Kybella, which promises to dissolve fat cells through a series of injections. There’s very little downtime, it’s noninvasive and nonsurgical, and there’s little risk. The drug is the first (and only) injectable designed to contour away the dreaded double chin...The process can be relatively slow, with results taking weeks or more often, months. This can be discouraging, especially to people who are self-conscious about their chins to begin with. The good news is that once your months-long process is completed, those fat cells are not coming back. There is no upkeep to consider or future costs.”
(source: The Atlantic June 2017 https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2017/06/kybella-the-injection-that-melts-a-double-chin/529893/)
Why people choose Kybella:
- Non-invasive — does not require surgery.
- 90% of patients experience long-term effects.
- A contoured jawline can make you feel more confident and appear younger.
How to prepare for the procedure
Before the procedure, a consultation is scheduled. This is the time to ask any questions you have and to discuss the desired outcome with your doctor.
- To reduce the risk of bruising and swelling, avoid taking aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, St. John’s Wort, or high doses of Vitamin E supplements for one week prior to treatment, consult your primary physician before discontinuing any normally prescribed medications. We recommend taking Arnica Montana for a day or two prior to your treatment to reduce the risk of bruising. If you have a medical condition that affects clotting or are on a medication which affects blood clotting, you must get your primary care doctor’s approval before taking arnica.
- For men, the treatment area, the neck and under the chin, should be clean-shaven the morning of the treatment.
- You may take Tylenol after your treatment to minimize discomfort.
What to expect after the procedure
Since everyone’s chin profile is different, the number of treatments varies from patient to patient. We will help determine how many treatment sessions you need based on the amount and distribution of your submental fat and your personal treatment goals. Each Kybella treatment session is given at least 1 month apart, and you should not receive more than 6 treatments. Most patients experience full results with 2-4 treatments.
Unlike fillers and neurotoxins, which offer semi-permanent results, Kybella is meant to permanently kill the fat cells, dissolve them, and help your skin tighten up a bit and improve contour. The results are not instant, but they are permanent.
After the treatment(s), you will likely have some swelling, bruising, or numbness under your chin which can last for one to four weeks. When we tried the treatments here, we wore a lot of scarves and turtlenecks for the first week!
If there was one procedure more and more clients are asking about, it’s this one.