Ok, first, a neuro what what? Neuromodulators = Injectable wrinkle-relaxers to smooth fine lines on the face.
If someone’s ever told you to “beware of that Botox look” then they’ve never had it done well, or they've never seen great work applied with an expert hand. Drs. Cynthia and Julie take their time so that you are given the right injections and amount to fit your personal needs and goals. Here’s the real-real.Neuromodulators for Aging Skin via The American Society for Dermatologic Society
Neuromodulators – wrinkle-relaxing injections of botulinum toxin commercially known as Botox, Dysport or Xeomin – are used to treat wrinkles, frown lines, and crow’s feet. A minute amount of the neuromodulator is injected directly into the underlying muscle, causing it to relax and gradually smooth out the appearance of the overlying skin. Botox can also be used to treat chronic headaches and hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) in addition to relaxing the facial muscles.
Why choose neuromodulators for aging skin
- Non-invasive — does not require surgery
- Can be quickly performed in your doctor’s or medi-spa office by a certified physician
- Virtually no recovery time
- Very preventative
How to prepare for the procedure
Before the procedure, a consultation is scheduled. This is the time for the doctor and patient to discuss expectations, potential risks and outcomes of the procedure, as well as review a full health history. Wrinkle relaxing injections can last 3 to 6 months. Although there is very little risk of bruising with Botox or Dysport injections, we recommend the following steps the before your treatment:
- A week before treatment, discontinue aspirin or ibuprofen and take Tylenol for pain relief instead.
- A week before treatment discontinue Fish oils, Omega complexes, vitamin E, and St. Johns Wort.
- 48 hours before treatment, reduce or discontinue garlic and alcohol consumption.
- Take a dose of Arnica Montana, the homeopathic remedy, 24 hours before treatment.
- Be sure to tell your doctor about any medications you take. Medically necessary blood thinners should NOT be stopped.
What to expect after the procedure
- Virtually no recovery time is required after neuromodulator injections.
- Patients should take care not to rub treated areas, which could cause it to migrate to another area.
- We like to advise no vigorous workouts for 48 hours, no facials, brow waxing or massages for 7 days post-treatment.
- Remember, it can take 3-5 days for Botox or Dysport to settle in and take full effect.
- We always recommend a follow up with your doctor to evaluate the results and provide a complimentary touch up if needed.